Blackout poetry is a unique and fun form of poetry that is created by taking a pre-existing text, such as a newspaper or book, and selectively blacking out or erasing words to create a new poem.
This process allows you to create a new piece of literature while repurposing an existing one. Use the process of elimination to create a new work of art!
The practice of blackout poetry is not only creative and therapeutic, but it also allows you to explore new themes and concepts in a unique and meaningful way.
In this blog post, we will go over the basics of blackout poetry and how to get started with it. We will also explore some examples of blackout poetry, as well as some resources and inspiration for creating your own poems.
Whether you’re a seasoned poet or just looking for a new hobby, blackout poetry is a fun and satisfying way to explore your creative side and unleash your inner poet.
Simple Steps for Creating Blackout Poetry
To create a blackout poem, follow these steps:
- Start by selecting a source text, such as a newspaper or book.
- Use a sharpie marker or pen to black out the majority of the text, leaving behind a few words or phrases that you find interesting or meaningful.
- Use the remaining words to create a poem, paying attention to the arrangement of the words and how they relate to each other.
- You can also play with the font, size, and spacing of the words to make the poem more visually interesting.
- Finally, read over your poem and make any final revisions to improve the flow, rhythm, and meaning.
Getting Started with Blackout Poetry
- Finding a Source Text: The first step in creating a blackout poem is to find a source text. This can be a newspaper, book, magazine, or any other type of printed material. You can also find text online and print it out. The text you choose should be something that interests you and that you can relate to.
- Choosing a Theme or Concept: Once you have your source text, the next step is to choose a theme or concept for your poem. This can be anything that you find interesting or meaningful, such as love, nature, or self-expression.
- Selecting Words and Phrases: Once you have your theme or concept, you can start selecting words and phrases to use in your poem. You can use a pen or marker to black out the words you don’t want to use, or you can use digital tools to edit the text. As you select words, think about how they relate to your theme or concept, and how they can be used to create a meaningful and powerful message.
- Keep it Simple: Blackout poetry is not about making long and complex poems, it’s about simplicity and making the most of the words you choose. Try to keep your poem short and to the point, and don’t be afraid to experiment with different layouts and designs.
- Have Fun: Blackout poetry should be fun and enjoyable, so remember to have fun and not to take it too seriously. You can always start over or try again if you don’t like the way your poem turned out.
With these tips in mind, you’ll be well on your way to creating your own blackout poems. The key is to experiment and have fun with the process.
Benefits of Blackout Poetry
Blackout poetry offers a number of benefits for those who practice it. Some of the most notable benefits include:
- Creativity: The process of creating a blackout poem requires you to think critically and creatively about the words you choose to keep and the words you choose to black out. This can help you to develop your creative skills and think outside the box.
- Relaxation: The act of creating a blackout poem can be meditative and relaxing. It allows you to focus on the task at hand, and can help to reduce stress and anxiety.
- Empowerment: Blackout poetry allows you to take control of a pre-existing text and make it your own. This can be empowering and help to build confidence in your own creativity.
- Self-Expression: Blackout poetry provides a unique and powerful way to express yourself and your thoughts. It allows you to take a text and use it as a starting point for your own story.
- Repurposing: Blackout poetry offers an eco-friendly way of repurposing books, newspapers and other printed materials. It’s a good way to give a new life to something that would have been thrown away.
- Cathartic: Blackout poetry can be cathartic, allowing you to explore and process difficult emotions and experiences in a healthy and creative way.
- Positive Thinking: Blackout poetry can also help to promote positive thinking, as the process of choosing words and phrases to keep can be a reminder to focus on the good things in life.
Blackout poetry is a creative and therapeutic hobby that can help you to relax, express yourself, and build your confidence.
Whether you’re a seasoned poet or just looking for a new hobby, blackout poetry is a fun and satisfying way to explore your creative side and help you process emotions and thoughts in a positive way.
Creating Your Poem
- Techniques for creating a blackout poem: There are different techniques you can use to create a blackout poem. One popular method is to use a black marker or pen to physically black out the words you don’t want to use. Another method is to use digital tools to edit the text. Experiment with different techniques to find the one that works best for you.
- Creating a visual design: Blackout poetry is not just about the words, it’s also about the visual design. Think about how you can create a visual design that complements your poem. For example, you can create a border around your poem, or you can use different font sizes or colors to draw attention to certain words.
- Ideas for displaying or sharing your poem: Once you’ve created your poem, you’ll want to think about how to display or share it. Some options include: framing it and displaying it on your wall, sharing it online with friends and family, or even creating a book of your blackout poetry.
- Collaboration: Blackout poetry can also be a great activity for collaboration, you can work with a partner or a group of people to create a poem together, or exchange your poem with others and create a new one.
With these tips in mind, you can create a blackout poem that’s not only meaningful and powerful, but also visually stunning. Remember to have fun and experiment with different techniques, layouts, and designs.
Examples and Inspiration
There are many online galleries and communities where you can find inspiration and examples of blackout poetry.
Social media apps like Instagram, Pinterest, and Tumblr have a lot of blackout poetry examples and communities. Check out the reddit community r/blackoutpoetry for community and more artistic examples.
There are also many books and anthologies of blackout poetry available such as:
- “Newspaper Blackout” by Austin Kleon
- “Blackout Poetry: Create, Share, Discover” by Eric Rajaniemi
Blackout poetry can also be combined with other art forms such as drawing, photography, or graphic design to create a unique and powerful visual experience.
Blackout poetry is also a great tool for learning new languages. You can use it to practice your reading, writing, and vocabulary skills.
By looking at examples and getting inspiration from other blackout poets, you can learn new techniques, find new sources of inspiration, and develop your own unique style. Don’t be afraid to experiment and try new things. Remember to have fun, and keep creating!
Blackout poetry is a fun and satisfying hobby that can help you to explore your creative side, express yourself and process emotions and thoughts in a positive way.
It’s important to keep it simple and to have fun with the process. The key is to experiment and to find your own unique style.
Whether you’re a seasoned poet or just looking for a new hobby, blackout poetry is a great way to get started and to create something truly unique.