Legos have been a beloved toy for many generations. However, for some, building with legos is not just a pastime, but a true hobby.
Whether you’re a child or an adult, starting legos as a new hobby can be a fun and rewarding pastime.
Not only is it a great way to tap into your creativity, but it also offers a unique form of problem-solving and can even be a great stress reliever.
Building with legos allows you to create whatever your heart desires, whether it’s a replica of your favorite movie scene, an original design, or even a fully functioning machine. And with the endless possibilities of lego bricks, the possibilities are endless.
Whether you’re a long-time lego enthusiast or just starting to explore the world of legos, this blog post is for you. Let’s dive in and discover the many benefits and joys of starting legos as a new hobby.
Benefits of Building with Legos
Building with legos has many benefits, both for children and adults. Some of the benefits of legos include:
- Improving fine motor skills: Building with legos requires the use of small muscle movements in the hands and fingers, which can help to improve fine motor skills.
- Enhancing problem-solving skills: Building with legos requires the use of logic and critical thinking skills to follow instructions and create designs.
- Encouraging creativity: Building with legos allows for endless possibilities and encourages creativity as you can build anything you can imagine.
- Developing spatial awareness: Building with legos requires understanding and manipulating three-dimensional objects, which can help to develop spatial awareness.
- Boosting self-esteem: Building with legos can help to boost self-esteem by providing a sense of accomplishment when a build is complete.
- Reducing stress: Building with legos can be a form of mindfulness and can help to reduce stress as it requires focus and concentration.
- Building social skills: Building with legos with friends or family can foster teamwork and communication skills.
- Encouraging a love of learning: Building with legos is a fun and engaging way to learn about different subjects such as engineering, architecture, and design.
Getting Started with a Lego Hobby
When starting a new hobby, it’s essential to have the right tools and equipment to get you going.
With legos, this means having the right sets and pieces to build with. There are many different types of lego sets available on the market, each with its own unique features and benefits.
Classic bricks sets are the most basic and versatile option.
These sets come with a variety of different colored bricks and are perfect for building anything from simple structures to more complex designs. Themed sets, on the other hand, are designed to replicate specific scenes or characters from popular movies, TV shows, and video games. These sets are great for fans who want to build their favorite scenes or recreate the look of their favorite characters.
Advanced sets, also known as expert sets, are more complex and challenging to build. They are designed for older children and adults and typically include more pieces and more detailed instructions. These sets are perfect for experienced builders who are looking for a new challenge.
If you’re new to building with legos, it’s recommended to start with a classic bricks set or a themed set that interests you. This will give you a good foundation of basic building skills and help you to get familiar with the different pieces and how they fit together.
Once you have your lego set, it’s important to sort and organize your bricks. This will make it easier to find the pieces you need when building and keep your legos in good condition.
There are many different ways to sort and organize legos, but one popular method is to use plastic storage containers and sort by color or shape.
With your lego set and sorting method in place, you’re ready to start building. But before you begin, it’s important to keep safety in mind. Always supervise children when they’re building with legos and make sure to keep small pieces away from young children to prevent choking hazards.
Lego Building Techniques
Once you’ve got your lego set and have sorted and organized your bricks, it’s time to start building. However, before you begin, it’s important to familiarize yourself with some basic building techniques that will help you to create more complex and interesting designs.
One popular building technique is layering. This technique involves building up a structure by adding layers of bricks on top of one another. This is a great way to create a sturdy base for your build and add height and depth to your design.
Another technique is SNOT (Studs Not On Top) building. This technique involves using the studs, or the small bumps on the top of lego bricks, on the sides or bottom of a build instead of on top. This allows for a more seamless and smooth look to your builds and opens up new possibilities for building.
MOC (My Own Creation) is a building technique that involves creating your own unique designs and creations, rather than following the instructions of a set. This technique allows you to explore your creativity and build something truly unique.
To help you master these techniques, it’s a good idea to try building simple models using these techniques, and then gradually increasing the complexity of your builds as you become more comfortable with them.
It’s also important to keep in mind that building with legos is a process and takes time and practice to master. Don’t be discouraged if your first builds aren’t exactly what you envisioned. Keep experimenting and practicing, and you’ll be building masterpieces in no time.
Popular Lego Sets
- Lego Star Wars: The Star Wars franchise has been a popular theme for lego sets for many years, with sets ranging from iconic ships and vehicles to detailed minifigure-scale scenes from the movies.
- Lego Harry Potter: The Harry Potter series has also been a popular theme for lego sets, with sets featuring Hogwarts castle, the Hogwarts Express, and other iconic locations from the series.
- Lego City: The Lego City sets are a popular theme for children and adults alike, featuring sets that depict everyday life and activities in a city. The sets includes buildings, vehicles and characters that can be used to build a complete city.
- Lego Ninjago: The Lego Ninjago sets are based on the Ninjago theme and feature sets that depict ninja characters and their battles against various villains.
- Lego Technic: The Lego Technic sets are designed for older children and adults, featuring sets that are more complex and focus on building machines and mechanical models.
- Lego Minecraft: The Minecraft theme has been a popular theme for lego sets, featuring sets that depict the game’s iconic blocky terrain and characters.
- Lego Superhero: The Superhero theme has been a popular theme for lego sets, featuring sets that depict iconic scenes and vehicles from the superhero movies, such as the Avengers and Batman.
- Lego Disney: The Disney theme has been a popular theme for lego sets, featuring sets that depict iconic scenes and characters from Disney movies, such as Frozen, Toy Story, and more.
As you continue to build with legos, you may find yourself needing inspiration for new designs and creations.
There are many ways to find inspiration for your lego builds, and it’s important to explore different sources to find what works best for you.
One way to find inspiration is to look at other lego creations online. There are many websites and social media platforms dedicated to showcasing lego builds from builders around the world. This is a great way to see what others are creating and to find inspiration for your own designs. Check out the large community over at r/lego!
Another way to find inspiration is to look at lego books. There are many books available that feature lego builds, both official and unofficial, and they can be a great source of inspiration. Check out The LEGO Ideas Book New Edition: You Can Build Anything! for great ideas.
Attending lego conventions is another great way to find inspiration. These conventions are a great place to see the work of other builders in person and can give you a better understanding of the different building techniques and styles.
Once you’ve found inspiration, it’s important to make it your own. Take inspiration from other builders and use it to create something unique that reflects your own personal style and interests.
Joining the Lego Community
Building with legos is not just a solitary activity, it’s also a great way to connect with others who share your passion. Joining the lego community can be a great way to share your creations, get feedback, and learn from others.
One way to join the lego community is to join online groups and forums dedicated to legos. There are many groups and forums available on different platforms, where you can share your builds, ask questions, and learn from others.
Another way to join the lego community is to attend lego events, such as conventions and exhibitions. These events are a great place to meet other lego enthusiasts and to see the work of other builders in person.
You can also participate in lego building challenges and competitions, either online or in person, and show off your building skills and compete with other lego enthusiasts.
Sharing your builds online and tag lego related hashtags and participating in lego related social media challenges will also allow you to connect with a larger community.
Additionally, consider sharing your builds with your friends and family and encouraging them to try building with legos as well. Building with legos is not just a hobby, it’s also a great way to bond with others and create lasting memories.
Continuing Your Lego Journey
Starting legos as a hobby is just the beginning of an exciting journey. As you continue to build and explore the world of legos, there are many ways to take your hobby to the next level.
One way to continue your lego journey is to explore new building techniques and styles. You can experiment with different techniques such as MOC building, SNOT building, and advanced building techniques to create unique and interesting designs.
Another way to continue your lego journey is to expand your collection of lego sets and pieces. As you build, you’ll become familiar with the different types of pieces and how they can be used in different ways. Expanding your collection will give you more pieces to work with and more options for building.
Consider taking classes or workshops to learn advanced building techniques and get expert tips and advice. These classes can be in-person or online and may cover topics such as stop-motion animation, robotics, and more.
Another way to continue your lego journey is to participate in lego building competitions, events, or challenges. This is a great way to show off your building skills, get feedback on your work, and meet other lego enthusiasts.
Lastly, share your creations with the community, whether it be online or in person, and inspire others to take up the hobby. You can also use your creations for charity events or donate them to children’s hospitals or schools.